Backtracking a bit from the previous reflection post, here are a few photos from 2015’s New Years celebration! Great friends and a bit of bubbly: a winning combination.
Then on a semi-whim Ben and I took a quick jaunt to Philadelphia. Part of the continued vision to “try new things”… My only previous memory of the state of Pennsylvania included family trip(s) to Sesame Place; it seemed like a good time to head back to PA.
Checked off a some top tourist attractions! Visuals sprinkled with a few fun facts & commentary.
- An iconic symbol of American independence!
- Inscription: “Proclaim LIBERTY throughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof.”
- The wide crack in the Liberty Bell was actually made in an effort to repair a much smaller, hairline crack
- Philadelphia housed the first US Mint, other mint facilities are now in Denver, San Francisco, West Point, and Fort Knox
- The current PA mint building is actually the fourth, the first was built in 1792 when Philadelphia was still the US capital
- Unfortunately we didn’t get to see the mint workers in action; they work 10 hour shifts 4 days a week to cut costs … : )
- An enclosed public market in the downtown area
- Over 100 merchants offer fresh produce, amish specialities, meats and seafood, baked goods… essentially everything you’d need for a great meal! Like…
- A “Love” sculpture was first placed in the plaza in 1976 during the US Bicentennial celebration
- Official park name: JFK Plaza
- Not at all cliche
Had such a good time ringing in the New Year…!